Cold sore, anyone? Yuck!
I really am not comfortable talking about my cold sore caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV), but if this information can help someone else as it has me, I want to share. You can successfully treat and heal a herpes cold sore with oil of oregano – a very simple process – if you jump on it immediately in the earliest stages.
This cold sore came a day after I laid out in the sun. I knew it would be red, ugly, painful, and alternately seepy and scabbing for 12 -14 days (which is my normal). With so many things on the calendar, I’m always embarrassed to have to wear a big ol’ cold sore with no way to hide.
Immediately I began to think of what to do. I was out of Abreva but that was fine because it is expensive, has ingredients in it I don’t want in my body, and doesn’t work as well as advertised.
Since I had no other recourse (and necessity is the mother of invention), I tried Oreganol P73 simply because it worked on a canker sore in the past. This resulted in the cold sore beginning to dry up within the first 20 hours! In other words, it stopped puffing up, shrank about 30% and became less red and hot.
There are affiliate links in this post. All the links on this website are for products that I feel are wholesome and helpful. I would share these links for purposes of encouraging families even if not an affiliate. It would be a blessing if you used the links in support of the time it takes to write this free resource. Thank you!
What I Did To Stop My Cold Sore
- Start immediately! In the early stage, the virus is still gaining strength and more easily halted; once further along, not so much!
- Daub 2 drops of Oreganol P73 (which I always have on hand) on the bump and surrounding area every couple of hours with a q-tip.
- Important: Take 4 or 5 drops of the oil internally (in an empty capsule), 4 times a day, 6-7 hours apart with lots of water. I think attacking the virus both internally and externally is what did the job.
- Other supplements I took because I had them on hand: Vitamin B Complex, elderberry tincture, L-Lysine, Zinc, Hyland’s Cold Sores & Fever Blisters Relief Tablets, and I loaded up on Vitamin C (1,000 mg/ every hour or two when awake).
You can build a no-side-effect medicine chest to target your family’s health needs.
Super Accelerated Healing
On the second day the cold sore was less puffy, the scab had dried with no sign of blisters, and the usual pain or swelling deep in the lip was absent. Usually it is twice to three times the size the second day – that is because the virus is breaking down the deeper tissue and forming multiple blisters which will eventually rise to the surface, burst open, and seep.
The healing and drying by the Oregano oil was almost too good to be true. I frankly was astonished and couldn’t stop smiling!
Besides the Oreganol I am holding in the photo, another source for reasonably-priced therapeutic grade oregano oil is Mountain Rose Herbs. You can also add this to an empty gelatin capsule and take it internally.
Do not use the essential oil of oregano neat as it is a ‘hot’ oil and will burn the skin. You must first add it to olive oil or coconut oil as a carrier. My Oreganol P73 is already in an olive oil base for easy application. It has a minimum shelf life of 8-10 years.
Note: Do not use oil of oregano internally while pregnant or nursing.
About Oil Of Oregano
Oil of oregano is highly antiseptic; it has the ability to destroy: bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungus and more. Hippocrates, the father of medicine, used oil of oregano to treat his patients. As an antifungal it is extremely effective, just like raw crushed garlic.
Antibiotic drug resistance does not develop against naturally-occurring antibiotics such as garlic and oil of oregano. But oil of oregano is not to be confused with common oregano in the kitchen spice cupboard, which is usually species Oregano marjoram, rather than true oregano.
The leaves and flowers of wild Mediterranean-grown oregano (sp. Oreganum vulgare and O. syriacum) have the most potent medicinal qualities and are vastly more potent than regular oregano. They are rich in carvacrol and thymol, which are key ingredients in its antimicrobial, fungicidal, and worm-expellant properties.
The benefits of oregano have gone largely unnoticed and under-publicized for far too long.
What Else Can Oil Of Oregano Treat?
- Respiratory infections – just one method is to put a few drops of oregano oil in a pot of steaming water and then deeply inhale the steam.
- Sinus infections – as above
- Fungal infections and candida
- Bee stings, insect bites and venomous bites – topical use brings immediate relief
- Pain killer — nearly as powerful as morphine
- Gum disease – Dilute the oil (mix a drop with a 1/2 tsp. of a carrier oil such as coconut oil), and place it under your tongue. Hold it there for a few minutes, and then rinse it out. Repeat this at least four times a day.
- Sore throat and canker sores -add a few drops to water and gargle and hold at first sign
- Thrush (white coating in the mouth, which is candida) -gargle and hold, then spit it out
- Acne – topical in a carrier oil but avoid going near the eyes!
Can Clean Your Home, Too
I also encourage using the antiseptic powers of this herbal oil to clean your home. Here’s one way: combine four drops of oregano oil with 10 drops of lemon oil and a quarter-cup of white vinegar, and then add to a spray bottle of water or small bucket. Use this mixture to wipe and clean surfaces.
Wild oregano (O. vulgare and O. syriacum) grows wild in the mountains of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Israel and is thought to be the biblical Hyssop, referred to by the writer King David of old, who stated:
“Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow” ~Psalm 51:7
Have you heard of oil of oregano before?
Thanks for reading!