A cold sore hurts, looks disgusting, and untreated, takes forever to heal. Yuck!
Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus and once contracted can lie dormant in nerve cells for years. Cold sore triggers include being run down, increased stress, menstrual cycle, overexposure to sun and even certain foods. There is no cure for a cold sore. If you’ve had one, chances are you’ll get one again.
But I have successfully treated and healed a herpes cold sore – a relatively simple process if you jump on it immediately in the earliest stages.
I was out of Abreva but that was fine because it’s expensive and doesn’t work like advertised. I am in relative good overall health and was persistent in following these instructions. This is my anecdotal account of healing a herpes cold sore and its incidence.
Oregano essential oil is a powerful anti-viral, so I used Oreganol P73 (which I keep in my no-side-effect medicine chest). This resulted in the cold sore beginning to dry up within the first 18 hours! In other words, the cold sore stopped puffing up became less red and hot. I also wanted to kill the virus that hides along our nerve tracts.
There are affiliate links in this post. All the links on this website are for products that I feel are wholesome and helpful. I would share these links for purposes of encouraging families even if not an affiliate. It would be a blessing if you used the links in support of the time it takes to write this free resource. Thank you!
What I Did To Stop My Cold Sore
- I started immediately. In its early stage, the virus is still gaining strength and more easily halted; once further along, not so much.
- Daub 2 drops of Oreganol P73 on the bump and surrounding area every couple of hours with a q-tip for 3 days to assure the site is well drenched.
- In addition to topical use (and to decrease future re-occurrence): Take 4 or 5 drops of the oil internally (in an empty capsule), 4 times a day, if possible, with lots of water, for a week or 10 days. I can’t over-emphasize that attacking the virus both internally and externally is important.
- Other supplements I took because I had them on hand: Vitamin B Complex, elderberry tincture, L-Lysine, Zinc, Hyland’s Cold Sores & Fever Blisters Relief Tablets, and I loaded up on Vitamin C (1,000 mg/ every hour or two when awake). Get extra sleep.
Super Accelerated Healing
On the second day the cold sore was less puffy, the blisters didn’t appear. I had already taken 4 capsules of Oreganol P73 at this point. There was a small scab, and the usual pain or swelling deep in the tissue was absent. Usually it is double or triple in size the second day – that is because the virus is breaking down the deeper tissue and forming multiple blisters which will eventually rise to the surface, burst open, and seep.
I will stay with this approach because I am more interested in removing the underlying cause of herpes simplex, if possible, and strengthening my overall immune system.
Oreganol P73 is already in an olive oil base for easy application. It has a minimum shelf life of 8-10 years.
Note: Do not use oil of oregano internally while pregnant or nursing.
About Oil Of Oregano
Oil of oregano is highly antiseptic; it has the ability to destroy: bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungus and more. Hippocrates, the father of medicine, used oil of oregano to treat his patients. As an antifungal it is extremely effective, just like raw crushed garlic.
Antibiotic drug resistance does not develop against naturally-occurring antibiotics such as garlic and oil of oregano. But oil of oregano is not to be confused with common oregano in the kitchen spice cupboard, which is usually species Oregano marjoram, rather than true oregano.
The leaves and flowers of wild Mediterranean-grown oregano (sp. Oreganum vulgare and O. syriacum) have the most potent medicinal qualities and are vastly more potent than regular oregano. They are rich in carvacrol and thymol, which are key ingredients in its antimicrobial, fungicidal, and worm-expellant properties.
The benefits of oregano have gone largely unnoticed and under-publicized for far too long.
What Else Can Oil Of Oregano Treat?
- Respiratory infections – just one method is to put a few drops of oregano oil in a pot of steaming water and then deeply inhale the steam.
- Sinus infections – as above
- Fungal infections and candida
- Bee stings, insect bites and venomous bites – topical use brings immediate relief
- Pain killer — nearly as powerful as morphine
- Gum disease – Dilute the oil (mix a drop with a 1/2 tsp. of a carrier oil such as coconut oil), and place it under your tongue. Hold it there for a few minutes, and then rinse it out. Repeat this at least four times a day.
- Sore throat and canker sores -add a few drops to water and gargle and hold at first sign
- Thrush (white coating in the mouth, which is candida) -gargle and hold, then spit it out
- Acne – topical in a carrier oil but avoid going near the eyes!
Can Clean Your Home, Too
I also encourage using the antiseptic powers of this herbal oil to clean your home. Here’s one way: combine four drops of oregano oil with 10 drops of lemon oil and a quarter-cup of white vinegar, and then add to a spray bottle of water or small bucket. Use this mixture to wipe and clean surfaces.
Wild oregano (O. vulgare and O. syriacum) grows wild in the mountains of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Israel and is thought to be the biblical Hyssop, referred to by the writer King David of old, who stated:
“Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow” ~Psalm 51:7
Have you heard of oil of oregano before?
Thanks for reading!