We would be wise to evaluate the EMF risks in our homes, especially in our bedrooms and those of our children! We spend 1/3rd or more of our life in the bedroom.
Please consider doing an assessment of where you and your children sleep. I call it preventative medicine.
Electrical Pollution Interferes with Your Body’s Cells
EMF (electromagnetic field) should be considered a harmful invader to your body, just like any other environmental toxin. It interferes with your health at the cellular level because you are actually an electrical being. Your body is a complex communication device where cells, tissues, organs and organisms all “talk” with finely tuned bio-electrical transmitters and receivers.
What happens when you expose a radio antenna to a significant amount of external noise? You get static from the noise — and that is what is happening to your body in today’s electrosmog environment.
Two of the more well-known biological impacts from electrosmog are the interruption of your brain wave patterns leading to behavior issues and the interference with your body’s communication system leading to abnormal neurological function, such as dementia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia.
Several Types of EMF:
- Static Electric Fields: These are made up of static electricity caused by ions released from synthetic materials in your home. When combined, they can make you feel unwell, which underscores the importance of choosing natural materials for your furniture, cabinetry, flooring and other building supplies.
- Power Frequency: This includes the wiring in your walls, electrical outlets, extension cords, lamps, and other electricity sources. They produce electric fields that essentially turn your body into a large antenna and interfere with your cells’ ability to communicate with one another. A bedroom disrupted with power frequency is especially unhealthy to sleep in, as cells cannot regenerate properly, potentially leading to insomnia and other diseases.
- Power Frequency Magnetic Fields: These are caused by building wiring errors and also when power lines to your home run underground near your sleeping area. An electrical panel box located on a wall near your sleeping area or even a refrigerator or TV located on the other side of the wall from where you sleep can also lead to power frequency magnetic fields.
- Radiofrequency/Communications: This includes a broad range of cordless phones, WiFi, wireless devices, cell phones and cell phone towers, all of which can interfere with your health.
It’s during sleep that your body regenerates and detoxifies, so you want your bedroom to be a sleeping sanctuary with very low EMF risks. It’s a given that you’re going to be exposed to varying levels of EMF during your waking hours, so giving your body a break during the night is really important.
Make Your Bedroom a Low-EMF Sleep Area:
- If you are building a home, consider wiring so you can turn off all the fuses with a switch in your bedroom at night. We did this, and it was very inexpensive in the construction phase.
- At minimum, moving your bed so that your head is at least 3 feet from an electrical outlet.
- Don’t charge your phone or computer (your cord has a transformer) in your bedroom while you are in near proximity.
- Turning off and unplugging (or moving) everything electrical in your sleeping area, including your computer, WI-FI, cell and portable phones.
- Use a EMF meter to test levels if in doubt. The nearness of the EMF source is important.
More Steps to Lower Your EMF Risks Right Now:
Beware that cell phones and WIFI are not the only EMF risks you need to be concerned about.
1.) Digital clocks, electric blankets and heating pads, and most computers are all EMF risks. Move the digital alarm clock to the other side of the room or get a battery-operated one for the bedside. (Dr. Mercola’s article goes into more depth).
2.) Please consider the research on cordless phones (especially DECTs~ digitally enhanced cordless transmitters) and the dangers they pose in the home. Keep the base station at least three rooms away from where everyone sleeps and where you spend the most time during the day. You can use an EMF meter (what we have) to know the range.
Note: we finally got rid of our DECT cordless phones and went back to landlines.
I know the topic of EMF risks is controversial, but I would rather err on the side of long term safety than convenience for the time being. There is VERY IMPORTANT DATA many are simply choosing to ignore out of convenience and technological trends.
NO ONE ever thought smoking would prove so lethal. While EMF risks have been a hot topic in our home, we have decided to be slightly inconvenienced by NOT having WiFi in our living space 24/7; we don’t want to risk finding out we made the wrong decision years from now! Please do your research and pray about this often over-looked problem.
I am not a scientist or an expert in this area, but something warns me to not take this for granted. As a mom, I just really urge you to take a good look at the areas in your private sanctuary (your home) and do your research! There are many who say this is a silly fear-based worry, but God tells us to seek wisdom.
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” ~James 1: 5
(Excerpt from Dr. Mercola article, Powerful and Simple Tips to Help Lower Your EMF Risks)
Here are some other very helpful articles on this subject:
- The Dangers of the Digital Era
- Prominent Neurosurgeons Fear Cell Phone Use Causes Brain Tumors
- Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) – Hazardous to Our Health?
- Are You Allergic to Wireless Internet?
Thanks for reading!