After our family does something strenuous together here on the farm, we’re all hot and need to cool down.
My sweet and generous husband wants to go out for great big strawberry ice cream cones or pull a carton of store-bought out of the freezer. It didn’t take long, though, before we all realized this frequent habit wasn’t helping us at all (dairy allergies, bumping up sinus issues, more colds).
This fabulous ice cream recipe is bursting with fresh-picked strawberry flavor and a just-right balance of sweetness and creaminess.
It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and paleo-friendly, too. The best part is it’s so delicious even the most discerning (or finicky) palate would enjoy it even of they don’t have allergy or dietary restrictions.
This strawberry ice cream evokes memories of spring and early summer! Using frozen strawberries, year round, works great, too.
GF, DF Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 pound (16 oz.) fresh strawberries
- 2 c. full (healthy) fat coconut milk (see my easy recipe)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or honey (maple syrup is perfect for this recipe!!)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a pinch of sea salt
For the Gelatin:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin (what I use) For vegan gelatin, use this agar agar gelatin substitute!
- 3 TBSP water
1. Wash and cut strawberries in half. In medium bowl, coarsely mash them together adding the maple syrup, lemon juice, and salt. Blend well and let sit for about 10 minutes.
2. In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the 3 TBSP of water and let sit for 5 minutes or so to bloom. I don’t own a microwave so after it’s set a minute, heat over low on the stove until just dissolved. If you microwave, do it in short bursts till the gelatin has melted. Do not let it boil. Allow to cool for a few minutes then stir the melted gelatin into the strawberry mixture until well combined.
3. Pour the crushed strawberry/gelatin mixture plus the coconut milk into a blender and purée till chunky or smooth, your preference.
4. Freeze in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. Serve and enjoy right away as a soft serve or use a freezer-safe container and freeze for a few hours or till scoopable.
5. The strawberry ice cream will keep well for 7-10 days when stored in an airtight container. For best consistency, let the ice cream sit out at room temp for 10 minutes or so till easily scoopable.
Notes On The Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe:
- I like to use a 100% pure coconut products: coconut cream.
- I have made this with frozen strawberries that I defrosted just slightly and then tossed into the food processor with the maple syrup, lemon juice and sea salt (then added the coconut milk and the melted gelatin). Still quite cold, I was able to put it in the ice cream maker right away and serve immediately with no freezing.
- This is the ice cream maker I use. I’m thinking about one of these ice cream storage containers.
- Makes 1 quart
Now you can eat the most delicious, mouth-watering strawberry ice cream free from guilt, be rewarded with the rich and creamy taste of traditional ice cream, and feel great about it. Coconut products are very, very good for you!
Happy Note: My husband, not the biggest fan of coconut, was really surprised and wanted more!
He said he couldn’t taste the coconut, and called it ‘musty’ (an old family joke of his grandfather’s). Translation: I MUST have more!
Needless to say, I was delighted.