Chocolate mousse and keto aficionados, rejoice! Another healthy snack you can whip up in less than 5 minutes if you are handy with a fork!
What is quick to make, and something you can eat every day without guilt?
A luxurious chocolate mousse dessert, born with a surprisingly delicious and healthy good-fat twist … avocado! With a mere 2 net carbohydrates per 100 grams, the avocado is a must on the list of acceptable foods on the keto diet.
If you have overlooked avocado thinking it was just a weird, bumpy green thing, think again! It is ranked right up there as one of the healthiest foods in the world.
I love what avocado does for our bodies:
Due to its nutritional profile, it is one great superfood at all ages:
- Close to mother’s breast milk, totally bio-available with protein and fat ratios that are equal to breast milk
- High in folate which is essential for women in child-bearing years, helping prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida
- Mashed up, avocado also makes an excellent food for baby’s developing brain.
- It assists the gut’s ability to absorb and assimilate nutrients
- Adding avocado to green salads helps to ensure proper absorption of all the vitamins and minerals in the fresh veggies
- A high source of glutathione which helps to boost the immune system
- Slows the aging process
- The monounsaturated fats in avocados reverse insulin resistance which helps to stabilize blood sugar levels
Using avocado as a base for raw food concoctions has never been more popular!
Its creamy texture and versatile go-with-everything rich taste make it a common ingredient in many dishes. From smoothies, gazpacho, and veggie juice blends to salads, dressings, and sandwich toppings, there are so many ways to LOVE avocado.
Avocado Silk Chocolate Mousse Recipe
It would be hard to distinguish the avocado in this delicacy from a similar dessert mousse served in a Swiss Bed & Breakfast or the Dutch chocolate-loving family kitchen of my childhood – except it might be silkier.
There are only five ingredients in this mousse, and you won’t need to touch the oven, a blender, or gadget of any kind…OK, maybe a blender, or maybe not, if you are handy with a fork and have ripe avocados.
You may have your fellow diners become greedy and (oh, dear!) double-dip in your mousse!
Totally Raw, GF Ingredients:
- 3 large or 4 medium ‘not-too-ripe’, and not over-ripe, avocados
- 1/3 cup or more raw coconut nectar or honey or maple syrup (to your desired sweetness)
- 1/2 cup plus a tsp. raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (or make your own) – adds undeniable depth of richness.
Note: If you are looking for a great and tasty way to get more virgin coconut oil in your diet for health reasons (Diabetes, Alzheimer’s prevention, yeast infections, to assist weight loss, or heal the gut), barely warm 1/4 cup coconut oil until it is liquid and mix into the whole recipe thoroughly while still blending to prevent clumping. Coconut oil gets firm below 78°. You will likely not taste the coconut oil in the mixture with the chocolate predominating.
Quick & Easy Snack Directions:
1. On a big plate, mash avocados until creamy. I did it with a fork, but you could use a blender for the smoothest consistency possible.
2. In a bowl, add nectar, cacao powder, sea salt, and vanilla to the avocados and mix until they are all thoroughly blended. Top with berries.
3. For a special occasion, top the mousse with fresh berries and shaved chocolate or nuts! I shave on one of my stash of chocolate bars to add an intense chocolate flavor and make it extra dressy.
4. Chill on a hot day or enjoy it right away!
Happy Snacking to You!
Pin It! Pin it!
If you’ve been encouraged or informed by something you’ve read here at Deep Roots, please consider liking my page on Facebook, joining us on Pinterest, or subscribing to the helpful email resources. Thank you!
Thanks for reading!