One problem that I see over and over again is recurring ear infections caused by antibiotic use.
According to the Guardian newspaper, “Antibiotics leave children ‘more likely to contract drug-resistant infections.’ Drug-resistant infections are 12 times higher in months following a course of antibiotics.” Antibiotics also set us up for fungal overgrowths, leading to recurring fungal infections.
Here’s an all-too-common scenario of how antibiotic use ends up in recurrent infections. Mariah wrote me about her toddler:
“Jordan had his first ear infection at 18 months. The obvious pain put me into a panic, so I rushed him to the doctor to get a course of antibiotics. They worked great and cleared up the pain right up, but a month later, Jordan got another, worse ear infection. We got more antibiotics, and then another ear infection. They told me he was “prone to ear infections.” The doctor wrote scripts for stronger antibiotics in addition to recommending tubes for both ears $$—and he is developing new allergies and we fight constipation daily. MiraLAX isn’t helping either.”
Disrupting the gut microbiome has long term consequences
Research reveals that disrupting gut flora with antibiotics (when a child’s internal biome is still in a fragile state) may contribute to the risk of developing conditions like type 1 diabetes and inflammatory bowel disease. A weakened immune system directly leads to further infections, autoimmune conditions and allergies, which in turn usually mean more antibiotics and steroids, and, before you know it, you or your child is caught up in a vicious downward spiral. (source)
And that’s exactly what Jordan’s mother now faces. The courses of antibiotics Jordan had during his second year disrupted his healthy gut flora and set off a host of auto-immune problems, allergic reactions, and constipation. And MiraLax caused behavioral problems. It’s so much better to avoid all that right from the start!
“The person who takes medicine must recover twice, once from the disease, and once from the medicine.” ~
BUT there are safe, inexpensive, gut biome-preserving, God-given natural ways to uproot an earache or ear infection. You can be the decider of what your child needs and not a doctor who pockets perks for prescribing.
1. Garlic and Mullein Oil Ear Drops For Ear Ache:
This garlic and mullein ear drops can be applied to the ear canal to help kill bacteria or viruses and relieve congestion in the area that might be causing a blockage. Due to its antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties, it’s very effective. You can also make your own (see how here). I have, and it’s never failed to work.
2. A Couple Drops of Silver Into the Ear Canal:
Sovereign Silver and SilverBiotics are both brands we have used and rely on for acute issues. Pour off a tiny bit into a small glass, and use a clean eyedropper to administer 1-2 drops to the ear canal(s). Let it settle into the ear drum. The second half of this post tells how our family took SilverBiotics for a very nasty well contamination which tested for giardia, Cryptosporidium, Campylobacter, E. coli, Enterovirus, shigella, rotavirus, norovirus, salmonella and more.
Dr. Eric Berg gives you confidence to treat your child’s or your own ear infection at home.
3. Homeopathic Remedies For Ear Ache:
B. These are the most commonly-indicated single homeopathic remedies to have on hand for earache. Homeopath Christina Villacorta discusses these (and a few more here).
1.) Belladonna 200c every few hours until the symptoms are improved
- For when earache comes on suddenly
- Bright red ear but eardrum is still normal shape
- Sudden high fever (up to 104º) with earache
- Glassy eyes and sore throat
- With fever there will be cold hands and feet
- With fever, both cheeks are bright red
- Child may feel his “heart beating in his ear”
- Otitis Media (the clinical name for a common middle ear infection) was cured with Chamomilla 200C in Germany in 1795 in the same manner it is cured today
- Chamomilla is considered the “OPIUM OF HOMEOPATHY!” (source)
- ears are sensitive to the slightest touch
- Extremely irritable, demanding something for the pain
- Earache comes on slower than belladonna
- One cheek is red and the other is not
- want to be carried or rocked all the time
- earaches while flying
- The most used remedy for ear infections especially if they develop after or with a cold
- Stopped up, swelling sensation in ear
- Ear will be red and hot (mainly LEFT sided)
- Worse in the evening and night
- Irritated by noise
- Weepy, sad, needing lots of comfort
Dosage & Frequency:
- Give 1 dose (2-3 pillules) and observe symptoms.
- Remedies can be repeated every 2-3 hours for 2-3 days.
Wondering if Homeopathy Really Works?
- At least 142 trials have been published in scientific journals regarding homeopathy. The School of Homeopathy has found that up to 85 percent of random-controlled trials demonstrate that homeopathy is more effective than placebo. (1)
- There have been five meta-analyses reviewing homeopathy trials to date, including one that appeared in the European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology in 2005. (2) Four analyses showed that overall homeopathy worked better than placebos.
- A six-year study released in 2005 from Bristol Homeopathic Hospital reported that 70 percent of 6,500 follow-up patients experienced improvement in their health after receiving homeopathic treatments.
4. Chiropractic Care:
Chiropractic (cranio-sacral) adjustments can help relieve tight muscles around the ear, which will allow trapped fluid to drain. According to this study where 46 children aged 5 & below participated, 93% of them showed improvement following chiropractic adjustments. 43 percent of the children felt better after only one or two sessions.
Child Sinus and Ear Drainage Massage Technique:
Learn how to use Essentials Oils and gentle massage to assist with ear and sinus drainage using: 1. Lavender Oil 2. Purification Oil 3. Peppermint Oil. Do this at first early signs, before the child is in pain. 5 minutes:
Other ways to help
- Remove mucus-producing dairy from the diet. If inflamed mucous membranes are present, dairy will exacerbate the situation.
- Avoid bottle-feeding while the child is lying down. This position can encourage fluid to flow into the Eustachian tubes.
Deep Roots At Home now has a PODCAST! We are covering everything from vaccines, parenting topics, alternative medicine. Head over today and like, share and download a few episodes! https://buff.ly/3KmTZZd
I’m still on FB but shadow-banned hard… If you want to stay connected, here is one way…
And please join me for my FREE newsletter. Click here.