I write this to bring attention to a common OTC medication that may be harming young children.
This concern has still not been addressed by the FDA, so at the end, I list some truly effective food remedies that have worked forever for childhood constipation!
MiraLAX: Potentially Dangerous OTC Laxative For Children
When their toddlers and children suffer from constipation, many parents use OTC laxatives like MiraLAX for relief because pediatricians still recommend it.
MiraLAX is often given for extended periods of time, even though the label advises “use no more than 7 days”.
It’s an off-label use in children because it’s not recommended for use to anyone under 17.
“In 2014, the FDA reported 167 adverse side effects in children who had taken MiraLAX, 37 of which included neurological or psychiatric responses.” ~CBS News report
Thousands of parents whose children were prescribed MiraLax (PEG 3350) observed deeply troubling neuropsychiatric problems such as:
- Mood swings
The only ingredient in MiraLAX is PEG 3350 (polyethelene glycol).
One concern about PEG 3350 is that it might contain trace amounts of potentially neurotoxic compounds ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol. (source)
Other laxatives containing PEG 3350 are GlycoLax, ClearLax, and GaviLAX.
Side Effects Parents Believe are from MiraLAX
Thousands of families are raising concerns that after taking MiraLAX their children experienced mood and behavioral changes.
This is a warning to be aware of!
Currently there are more than 68,800 families joining forces in a Facebook group called Parents Against Miralax. They are pleading with doctors and parents alike to stop using this powerful laxative in the sensitive small bodies of young children.
Follow this train of thought as pediatric neurologist Dr. David Rosenberg (above video), Chair of Psychiatry at Wayne State Univ. and Children’s Hospital, explains:
“The gut chemistry and the brain chemistry and biology are strikingly similar.” (true)
“Children with digestive issues often also have psychiatric issues, because the neurotransmitters that regulate your gut also regulate your brain!” (true)
“…the underlying causes of severe constipation have robust association with psychiatric and behavioral disturbances.” (true)
“I see an awful lot of children who have neurobehavioral syndromes like OCD, disruptive behavior, tremors and tics, Tourette syndrome, ADHD, autism, and anxiety – and constipation is a common problem in those children.” (true)
That raises the big question.
Are problems parents observe due to the medication MiraLAX or an underlying condition causing constipation?
The FDA never completed the study they started in order to find out!
Until We Know More, Avoid MiraLAX
Why Use MiraLAX When Other Safer Remedies Work Well for Constipation?
2 minutes with Dr. First:
Natural Laxative Foods That WORK to Undo Normal Constipation:
Let’s NOT ditch/forget well-known, safe remedies for a chemical that MAY do untold harm.
If only people knew that drinking 3 glasses of water before 9 am would trigger a bowel movement, they would never buy laxatives again. Drink more water and eat more fiber – an (organic) apple a day keeps the doctor away isn’t just an old wives tale. Here are some more tips:
1. Prune juice works because of high sorbitol and phenolic compounds. From age 1 and up, it can be given to relieve constipation, but limit it to less than a cup/day.
2. A glass of warm water with lemon juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is one of the simplest treatments for constipation in children or adults.
3. Eating celery sticks every day sweeps the gut.
4. Kiwi fruit: Many people eat a kiwi every morning to facilitate bowel function thanks to their fiber and enzyme content.
5. Flaxseed is a famous treatment for constipation. Soak them in water overnight first. On an empty stomach in the morning, have them drink both seeds and water or mix with fruit.
6. Chia seeds work in the same way as flaxseed (soaking releases fiber). Soak a teaspoon in water for 5 minutes, then drink it all down. Chia deep cleans without irritating your intestine.
7. A tablespoon of olive oil (or teaspoon of mineral oil) on an empty stomach is a foolproof treatment for constipation. Children are not usually gagged by olive oil and often respond quickly to this simple habit that you can keep up for a few weeks until the problem is resolved.
8. Fermented foods work to correct both constipation and diarrhea.
9. Vitamin C powdered, buffered sodium ascorbate. A 1/2 teaspoon in small amount of water every hour until the constipation stops.
10. Magnesium citrate gummies works by increasing the amount of water in your child’s intestinal tract thus softening the stool. It also aids in muscle contraction, thus expelling the stools. According to the NIH, ages 1-3: dose 80 mg (=1 gummy) or ages 4-8: dose 130 mg (=2 gummies). Note: Do not double dose magnesium!
11. An Epsom salts bath, (not a food!), comforts, relaxes and encourages a bowel movement. It’s magnesium salt, and it draws water to the colon which softens the hardest stool.
What are the Root Causes of Chronic Constipation (or Diarrhea)?
Mood, sleep, language, and appetite are regulated by serotonin, 90% of which is made in the gut. When the gut is attacked, we see behavioral problems reminiscent of autism.
Often the gut is chronically damaged by:
- heavy metals from highly toxic vaccine adjuvants
- mold like my son’s experience
- toxic glyphosate in common foods which alters the gut microbiome and increases intestinal permeability
- Leading baby foods contain alarmingly high levels of damaging heavy metals
- antibiotics annihilate good microbes and create antisocial children
- and many more
We can detox these offenders and more from organs, the gut, and the brain with TRS.
Commonly, we see diarrhea and constipation end.
TRS also removes MRI contrast Gadolinium and mercury in amalgams effectively and safely.
If you are serious to learn more, leave a comment in this post, and I will contact you via email. Visit my back office here for details. I’ve decided to make TRS available because of the many wonderful testimonies of friends and our own personal story with advanced Lyme.
So the lesson here is to stay with what we know is safe.
Sadly, we are learning just because a doctor recommends something doesn’t mean it is safe.
Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US!!!
Research. Pay attention to your parental instincts. Always apply the rule, “first do no harm”, and we will all save ourselves and our families a lot of grief and heartbreak!
***For the Full Spike Protein Protocol (including NAC) to protect from transmission from the “V” and to help those who took the “V”, go here.
Deep Roots At Home now has a PODCAST! We are covering everything from vaccines, parenting topics, alternative medicine. Head over today and like, share and download a few episodes! https://buff.ly/3KmTZZd
I’m still on FB but shadow-banned hard… If you want to stay connected, here is one way…
You can also find me on Instagram, MeWe and Telegram.
And please join me for my FREE newsletter. Click here.