As the weather heads into fall, I’m collecting recipes that are perfect for cooler days with football/ultimate frisbee in the backyard or a gathering of friends and family for the Super Bowl. I plan to triple this recipe often and freeze these delectable pizza bites for impromptu use.
As we’ve thought more about going in the direction of Gluten-Free, we discovered quinoa, and we’re crazy about it!
We love the taste and the texture – it has a nutty feel to it making it a little crunchy. Our sons love it because they have read about its high protein content, the fact that it contains all the 9 essential amino acids including lysine, and that it helps them rebuild after a workout.
Quinoa is a superfood.
This easy and hearty finger snack is perfect if you love the flavors of pizza, and who doesn’t!
By putting quinoa and the components of Italian pizza together you get all the nutrition of the whole grain packed with fiber and protein and a savory, gluten-free snack that is more like a comfort food.
I have modified the original recipe from So Very Blessed.com a bit, upping the cheese and a few other things. The fresh basil adds great flavor, and the combination with oregano, onions, paprika, and garlic blend perfectly to bring yummy pizza flavor in each little pizza bite, but feel free to play around with the spices to accommodate your family’s tastes!
Pizza Bites Ingredients:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 2 cups cooked quinoa)
- 4 eggs
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup of any garden veggies on hand such as tomatoes, red peppers
- 2 cup (or more) shredded mozzarella cheese (I used Parmesan and mozerella)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano or add extra Italian seasoning to taste
- optional: a dash or two of ground cayenne for some heat
- optional: add browned ground beef or pieces of chicken or bacon
- your favorite pizza sauce for dipping
Soak 1 cup uncooked quinoa 12 hours to remove phytic acid and saponins. Place the soaked, rinsed quinoa and two cups of water into a pot. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Fluff and stir occasionally. Cooks much like rice.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all the ingredients (minus pizza sauce) in a medium mixing bowl (or larger if doubling/tripling).
- Distribute mixture, one heaping tablespoon at a time, onto parchment-covered trays and press together gently to compact.
- Option: use a well-greased mini-muffin tin, filling each cup to the top
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden with crispy edges.
- Cool for 10+ minutes before removing from trays.
Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
Makes 40-42 pizza bites.
Pizza bites are perfect to freeze for reheating.
Does your family like pizza?
“Gratitude can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” ~M. Beattie
If you’ve been encouraged or informed by something you’ve read here at Deep Roots, please consider liking my page on Facebook, joining us on Pinterest, or subscribing to the helpful email resources. Thank you!