If you are the adventurous and independent type, here’s a homemade cough remedy that really works.
The ingredients are a simple combination of spices and nutrients with no side effects:
- no drowsiness
- no dry mucous membranes
- no precautions about using machinery or driving
We made this potent cough remedy in our home recently to get some relief so we, my 14 year-old daughter and I, could sleep.
It worked for us!
(Note: I would not give this mixture to a young child, because the taste is too strong, and do not give honey to children under 1 year of age.)
The recipe is from Herbally Yours by Penny C. Royal. It seems to work for all kinds of coughs but especially for that dry cough that keeps you awake and hangs on long after the cold is over.
Updated April, 2016.
Cough Remedy Ingredients:
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon honey (we use raw honey for its amazing benefits)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (not GMO corn-based vinegar)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
Mix and take by the teaspoonful. Stir well each time before taking. We keep this in the refrigerator.
The recipe doesn’t mention how much to take. We took 3 teaspoons the first time because we had had this bad cough for over three weeks and were desperate for some relief. It worked, and we got a good night’s sleep.
Beneficial Effects of the Individual Cough Remedy Ingredients:
- Ginger has long been used and recommended for arthritis and bursitis, because it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Also ginger is a natural antihistamine. It has also been used for for motion sickness and nausea, and in addition, it’s known for relieving chest congestion.
- Cayenne is used as a natural fat burner and pain killer, to treat ulcers, increase metabolism, improve circulation, boost the immune system, and aid digestion.
- Raw Honey will draw pus and poisons out of wounds and it is useful for relief from colds. In its raw state it contains untold amounts of micronutrients and enzymes.
The next time you have a cough that just won’t quit, you might want to give this homemade cough remedy a try. You will thank me 😉
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease. ” ~Thomas EdisonMedical Disclaimer: I am no longer a practicing medical professional, and I am not doctor. I am a mother. I do seek scientific confirmation of the safety and effectiveness of the herbs and remedies I use. Using remedies is a personal decision. Nothing I say on this blog is intended to treat or prevent disease. Consult your own doctor.