With the fusion of the two, you’re gettin’ da bomb!
When it comes to a tried and true superfood, turmeric may well be the most effective and science-backed nutritional supplement in the world. I won’t go into all the studies and health benefits I’ve shared in the past, but you can read my 3 popular posts here and here and here.
Peoples of the South Asian and Indian cultures has been using honey and turmeric to treat disease for many years. Folk wisdom still retains knowledge of the healing properties of both raw honey and turmeric. Both are great alone, but mixing them together increases their power exponentially, and I will show you why.
Medicinal honey pretty much fell from favor with the age of modern antibiotics in the mid-20th century. Western medicine largely poo-poo’d it as a “worthless but harmless substance“. But now we know that Manuka honey, produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the Manuka tree, is one of the most unique and beneficial forms of honey in the world. (Frontiers in Microbiology study)
Unique Manuka Factor (UMF)
In the early 1980’s, Manuka was discovered to have a noticeably greater level of enzymes than regular raw honey. Those enzymes create a natural form of hydrogen peroxide that serves as an antibacterial – with properties that aren’t common in other types of honey.
These extra enzymes are referred to as the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) – which is nothing more than a global standard that helps to both identify and measure the antibacterial strength of Manuka. The UMF also guarantees that the honey contains medicinal qualities.
Having both this natural hydrogen peroxide quality in addition to the natural UMF that that combine together to make it incredibly effective.
Proven Manuka Honey Health Benefits
There are 7 distinct benefits of Manuka honey. The studies are sourced here. They include:
- Helps with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), Low Stomach Acid, Acid Reflux (source)
- May Help Treat Acne and Eczema (Most people claim that applying honey on affected area for a few minutes and then washing off usually does the trick. Repeat this every or every other day for the best results). (source)
- Combats Staph Infections (MRSA) Manuka honey down-regulates the most potent genes of the MRSA bacteria. (source)(source)
- Prevents Tooth Decay and Gingivitis ( also causes a 35 percent decrease in plaque, but it led to a 35 percent reduction in bleeding). (source)
- Aids IBS and IBD Treatment (source)
- Improves Sore Throats and Immunity (stops the growth of sore throat-causing Strep bacteria) (source), and it increases cytokines that fight strep and others in chronic wounds (source).
- Improves Sleep (source)
Other types of honey also produce antimicrobial levels of hydrogen peroxide when glucose oxidase (an enzyme incorporated into honey by bees) reacts with glucose and oxygen molecules in water. So, when honey is used as a wound dressing it draws moisture from the tissues, and this reacts to produce hydrogen peroxide, clearing the wound of infection.
Honey IS better than cough medicine Dextromethorphan (DM)
Are we so inundated with medicines and drugs that are pushed on us, we are forgetting how amazing natural God-given foods are!
Not only is this a safe and effective antibiotic, but one very interesting study by JAMA Pediatrics (the mouthpiece for U.S. pediatricians) showed real honey was more effective than common cough medicine such as Robitussin DM (dextromethorphan) for reducing night time coughs of children, improving their sleep (and their parents’).
Let’s skip the side effects and reconnect with the gifts we already have!
Manuka honey wasn’t used specifically, but since it is an even more powerful antimicrobial than regular honey, it likely would give even better results!
Not so great for children.
Other Brands with DM: Wal-Tussin Cough, Children’s Robitussin products, Vicks DayQuil Cough, Children’s Cough DM ER, Tussin Cough (DM only), Cough Relief, Delsym 12 hour, Children’s Delsym Cough, Scot-Tussin Diabetes CF, and more.
Powerful Turmeric – Manuka Honey Recipe
Yes only two, pure ingredients!
Here is how you can make and use it:
When you get the first symptoms of a cold, flu or strep throat, make the Turmeric – Honey mixture.
- 4 oz. (~20 tsp.) of Manuka honey or raw honey—>To make it super easy, I don’t measure but use a bit under half a of an 8 oz. jar (or ~4 oz.) to make my batch. (We use Trader Joe’s (UMF 10+). You can purchase a higher UMF here).
- 2 slightly mounded TBSPs of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper (even a little pinch of black pepper – 1/20th of a tsp – can significantly boost levels.)
- 1-2 TBSP of virgin coconut oil (totally optional) (antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal as well)(will be a liquid at 76 degrees and above)
- (optional) adding cinnamon increases the overall power of this mixture!
Carefully stir turmeric and black pepper (and optional cinnamon) into 4 oz. (20 tsp.) of Manuka honey, mix well and place the Golden Honey mixture in a glass container with lid. You can make more or less depending in your needs by following this conversion table.
With the first symptoms of colds and flu:
Day 1 – Take ½ tsp. every hour during the day.
Day 2 – Take ½ tsp. every two hours during the day.
Day 3 – Take ½ tsp. three times a day.
Hold the turmeric-honey mixture in the mouth until it is completely dissolved.
Storage of Manuka Honey
Due to honey’s potential to store forever, it will keep in a glass jar indefinitely. Everything in this recipe is antibacterial. I keep it covered, though, to keep dust, etc. out!
Try adding it to coconut milk or tea and gargling with it.
“Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” ~Psalm 103: 2-5